Doug Kertscher is a co-founding partner of Hill, Kertscher & Wharton, LLP and 28-year member of the State Bar of Georgia. He has established a national reputation for successfully litigating high-stakes cases with challenging legal and factual issues. Doug has been honored by Best Lawyers in America since 2016, is a 14-time Super Lawyer honoree (4 years on the Top 100 List), and holds a 10/10 rating from Avvo. He has also been named to the list of the state’s “Legal Elite” numerous times by leading business and politics magazine, Georgia Trend.
Over his career in private practice, Doug has effectively represented clients in a wide array of legal matters including wage and hour litigation, whistleblower and sexual harassment claims, and complex business litigation such as corporate dissolution disputes, trade secrets litigation and intellectual property matters.
In addition to his work on behalf of the firm’s clients, Doug is a recognized leader in the field of law, having served as the Co-chair of the American Bar Association’s Labor & Employment Section and in numerous leadership positions at the local bar association level. He is also a sought-after speaker on issues involving employment law, technology, and effective and efficient business practices.
Doug attributes his success during the past two and half decades to a combination of experience, preparation, and willingness to take a case as far as necessary to receive a positive outcome.
“The law moves incredibly fast in today’s business environment, especially with the impact technology has on the way companies and professionals conduct business. Lawyers need to be ready and capable of helping their clients navigate complex decisions that may involve both the prevention of disputes and their effective resolution.” – Doug Kertscher
- Employment Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America Honoree, 2016-23
- Top 100 List, Georgia Super Lawyers-Thomson Reuters, 2020-23
- Rated 10/10, AVVO
- Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine, 2012-22
- Georgia Super Lawyers Honoree, Thomson Reuters, 2005-09, 2015-23
- Presenter,Restrictive Covenants and Non-Competes, The Seminar Group, 19th Annual Labor & Employment Law Conference, 2022
- Presenter, Perspectives from the Plaintiff’s Bar, Ogletree Deakins, Managing a Workforce in 2023, 2022
- Keynote Panelist, Litigation Looking Glass: Employment Law Cases Studies…Seeing the Plaintiff’s and Defendant’s Perspective, Society for Human Resources Management, Atlanta Symposium, 2019
- Co-presenter, From the Plaintiff’s Perspective: Mistakes HR Practitioners Should Avoid!, Society for Human Resources Management, Atlanta Legal Summit, 2018
- Panelist, Have You Seen Her Twitter? Balancing Thorough Investigations and Privacy Rights, American Bar Association Employment Section Mid-winter Meeting, 2015
- Insurer Accused of Firing Exec Because of Her Pregnancy, Law360, December 5, 2022
- Lockheed and Firefighters Get Conditional Cert. in OT Suit, Law360, November 9, 2022
- Lawsuit Claims State Juvenile Justice Agency Illegally Fired Woman Under COVID-19 Quarantine, Daily Report, January 14, 2021
- Jury Gives $550K to Ex-Partner, Returns $105K to Law Firm, Daily Report, November 5, 2014
- Author, “Unfriending: Employment Decisions in the Age of Social Media and Cell Phones“, American Bar Association Employment Section Mid-winter Meeting Materials, 2015
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D.
- with honors
- Runner Up, Intrastate Moot Court Competition
- Auburn University, B.A.
- with honors
Professional and Community Associations & Memberships
- Member, UGA Intrastate Moot Court Team
- Vice-Chair of the American Bar Association Children in the Law Committee (2000)
- Chair of the American Bar Association meeting host committee (2001)
- Founder and director of the Georgia Aspiring Youth after-school program (1996-2001)
- Board member of Northside Shepard’s Center for the Elderly (2001-03)
- Board member for Fulton County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) (2002-04)
- Various positions of leadership in the Georgia State Bar YLD executive committee (1997-2003)
- Chairman of the University of Georgia School of Law’s Young Lawyer Alumni Committee (2003-04)
- Youth leader and Stewardship Chairman at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (2004-06)
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Committee (2014-15)
- Volunteer, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Christmas Day Parade
- Volunteer of the Year, National Aspiring Youth After-school Program, 1999
- Commitment Award, State Bar of Georgia, YLD, 2002