Douglas R. Kertscher
Doug Kertscher has extensive trial experience, having been lead counsel in over 40 civil trials. He has represented individuals and corporations as plaintiffs in litigation, and has obtained million dollar verdicts and settlements in this capacity. Please see the “Testimonials” section for comments from some of Mr. Kertscher’s past clients.
Mr. Kertscher’s nationwide experience has come in federal and state cases involving varied business disputes from trade secret to patent and trademark disputes, to matters involving employment and securities. He has twice been a guest on the public television program “Layman’s Lawyer,” has given 7 seminars on topics such as deposition taking and trial practice, served as an instructor for a business law class at Georgia State University and has published articles or chapters on premises liability law and workers compensation law.
In addition to litigating throughout the state and federal courts in Georgia, Mr. Kertscher has practiced in a variety of federal courts throughout the United States, including trial courts in Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia.
Mr. Kertscher has been selected as one of Georgia’s Super Lawyers six times, and has been named to Georgia Trend Magazine’s list of Legal Elite for the past three years. He is also rated 10.0/10.0 by AVVO.
- Complex litigation, including intellectual property matters
- Small-midsize corporate matters
- Employment litigation and counseling
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., 1994 (with honors)
- Auburn University, B.A. (with honors)
Professional and Community Associations & Memberships
- Member, UGA Intrastate Moot Court Team
- Vice-Chair of the American Bar Association Children in the Law Committee (2000)
- Chair of the American Bar Association meeting host committee (2001)
- Founder and director of the Georgia Aspiring Youth after-school program (1996-2001)
- Board member of Northside Shepard’s Center for the Elderly (2001-03)
- Board member for Fulton County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) (2002-04)
- Various positions of leadership in the Georgia State Bar YLD executive committee (1997-2003)
- Chairman of the University of Georgia School of Law’s Young Lawyer Alumni Committee (2003-04)
- Youth leader and Stewardship Chairman at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (2004-06)
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Committee (2014-15)
- Rated 10.0/10.0 Superb by AVVO
- Georgia Legal Elite, 2012-17
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2005-09, 2015-18
- Runner-up, Intrastate Moot Court Competition
- “Volunteer of the Year” from the national Aspiring Youth after-school program, 1999
- “Commitment Award” for community service from the State Bar YLD, 2002
- Panelist, “Have You Seen Her Twitter? Balancing Thorough Investigations and Privacy Rights”, American Bar Association Employment Section Mid-winter Meeting, 2015.
- Author, “Unfriending: Employment Decisions in the Age of Social Media and Cell Phones“, American Bar Association Employment Section Mid-winter Meeting Materials, 2015.