Scott A. Wharton
Scott Wharton leads the firm’s Business Transactions Group and brings 30 years of experience handling complex client matters involving mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financing transactions, corporate and securities law and compliance, international business transactions, and corporate governance. Scott is also a pioneer in the flat fee, outsourced corporate counsel method of delivering high-quality legal services and continues to represent a strong roster of clients that value positive results and an exceptional level of personal service.
In addition to his more than two decades in private practice, Scott served as general counsel and senior corporate officer for a publicly held global telecommunications software company as well as a privately held Danish telecommunications software company. In these positions, he was responsible for the organizations’ worldwide legal and regulatory affairs including mergers and acquisitions, financings, corporate governance, executive compensation, commercial transactions, intellectual property, employment and labor matters, and the management of small and large global legal departments. In private practice, Scott continues to serve as outside general or dedicated counsel for businesses in a wide range of industries, including wireless communications, web hosting, information technology/software, aviation, distribution and logistics, behavioral health care and manufacturing. It’s this powerful combination of experience that Scott believes prepares him to provide top-tier legal counsel to the firm’s clients today.
“Our team’s experience is particularly well-suited for the complex matters we’re involved in on behalf of clients. We see both the high-level picture of how decisions will impact their future success as well as the critical details and practical, business-oriented considerations to effectively manage legal risks and expand business opportunities.” – Scott Wharton
Scott’s history of achieving positive results has not gone unnoticed by his peers and the industry’s leading attorney rating organizations. He holds a 10/10 rating from Avvo, is a 6-time Super Lawyer honoree, and has been named to the list of Georgia’s Legal Elite since 2012.
- Business Transactions
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Equity and Debt Financing Transactions
- Corporate and Securities Law and Compliance
- Intellectual Property
- Technology Transactions and Counseling
- Domestic and Inbound/Outbound International Business Transactions
- Georgia Super Lawyer Honoree, Thomson Reuters, 2005-08, 2019-20
- Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine, 2006, 2012-19
- Rated 10.0/10.0, Avvo
- Georgia State University College of Law, J.D.
- magna cum laude and first honors graduate
- Marquette University, B.S., Business Administration and Finance
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- State Bar of Georgia
- District of Columbia Bar
- Distinguished Clown Corps (Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta)
- Founding Member and Sponsor, Intellectual Property Law Foundation, Georgia State College of Law
- President’s Club, Georgia State University
- Marquette Club of Atlanta
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, Member, Distinguished Clown Corps