Scott A. Wharton
Scott Wharton heads the firm’s business transactions practice group and has over 20 years of experience as a well-rounded business lawyer and advisor, both in private practice and as general counsel and a member of senior management at public and private companies.
Mr. Wharton’s areas of expertise include mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financing transactions, corporate and securities law and compliance, intellectual property and technology transactions and counseling, domestic and inbound/outbound international business transactions (including new business formation, strategic alliances, joint ventures, distribution agreements, secured transactions and general commercial/UCC matters, with experience throughout Europe, Latin America and Asia), and complex business disputes. His experience spans a variety of business sizes and types, with companies that range from startups to multi-billion dollar companies doing business in a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, information technology and software, distribution and logistics, paper and packaging products, commercial aviation, private equity and venture capital, and insurance.
Prior to Mr. Wharton’s return to private practice in 2002, he served as general counsel and a senior corporate officer of LHS Group, Inc., a US based global telecommunications software company with a dual Nasdaq/Frankfurt Exchange (Neurer Markt) listing and Digiquant A/S, a privately held Danish telecommunications software company that attempted a dual Nasdaq/Copenhagen Stock Exchange IPO. In these roles, Mr. Wharton was responsible for each company’s worldwide legal and regulatory affairs, including mergers and acquisitions, financings, corporate governance, executive compensation, commercial transactions, intellectual property, employment and labor matters, and management of a global legal department with lawyers located in the US, Europe and Asia. Since his return to private practice, Mr. Wharton has continued to serve as either outside general counsel or outsourced in-house counsel for several companies.
Mr. Wharton typically provides services on a flat fee or other value-oriented basis, both for ongoing monthly “retainer” based services and on a transaction or project basis for mergers and acquisitions, financings, business formation, and other non-recurring business transactions.
From 1990 to 1997, Mr. Wharton was in private practice in Atlanta. Over that time he handled a broad range of corporate and securities, domestic and international business transactions, regulatory and compliance, intellectual property, and complex business litigation matters.
- Business Transactions
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Equity and Debt Financing Transactions
- Corporate and Securities Law and Compliance
- Intellectual Property
- Technology Transactions and Counseling
- Domestic and Inbound/Outbound International Business Transactions
- Marquette University, B.S., Business Administration, Finance, 1986
- Georgia State University College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia, J.D., magna cum laude, 1990 (first honors graduate)
Professional and Community Associations & Memberships
- Member, State Bar of Georgia, 1990 to present
- Member, District of Columbia Bar, 1992 to present
- Distinguished Clown Corps (Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta)
- Founding Member and Sponsor, Georgia State College of Law, IP Law Foundation
- President’s Club, Georgia State University
- Marquette Club of Atlanta
- Selected as a Georgia Super Lawyer by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine, 2005-08
- Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine, 2006, 2012-17
- Madison Who’s Who, 2007 Edition