Douglas R. Kertscher
Mr. Kertscher has extensive trial experience, having been lead counsel in over thirty (30) trials. Mr. Kertscher has represented individuals and/or small corporations as plaintiffs in litigation, and obtained million dollar verdicts and settlements in this capacity. He also has represented defendants (both corporate and otherwise) with equal success. Please see the “Testimonials” section for comments from some of Mr. Kertscher’s past clients.
Mr. Kertscher’s nationwide experience has come in federal and state cases involving varied business disputes from trade secret to patent and trademark disputes, to securities and SEC matters, to matters involving employment law and in some unique cases personal injury disputes. Mr. Kertscher has twice been a guest on the public television program “Layman’s Lawyer,” has given seven (7) seminars on topics such as deposition taking and trial practice, served as teacher for a business law class at Georgia State University and has published articles or chapters on premises liability law and workers compensation law.
In addition to litigating throughout the state and federal courts in Georgia, Mr. Kertscher has practiced in a variety of federal courts throughout the United States, including trial courts in Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia.
Mr. Kertscher was selected by his peers in the Georgia Bar as one of Georgia’s Super Lawyers in the field of general litigation for the years 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009, as reported in Atlanta Magazine.
- Complex litigation, including intellectual property matters
- Small-midsize corporate matters
- Employment Litigation
- Personal injury
- Workers’ compensation litigation
- Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, B.A. (with honors)
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Ga., J.D., 1994 (with honors)
Professional and Community Associations & Memberships:
- Member, UGA Intrastate Moot Court Team
- Vice-Chair of the American Bar Association Children in the Law Committee (2000)
- Chair of the American Bar Association meeting host committee (2001)
- Founder and director of the Georgia Aspiring Youth after-school program (1996-2001)
- Board member of Northside Shepard’s Center for the Elderly (2001-03)
- Board member for Fulton County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) (2002-04)
- Various positions of leadership in the Georgia State Bar YLD executive committee (1997-2003)
- Chairman of the University of Georgia School of Law’s Young Lawyer Alumni Committee (2003-04)
- Youth leader and Stewardship Chairman at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (2004-06)
- Rated 10.0/10.0 Superb by AVVO
- Georgia Legal Elite: 2012
- Georgia Super Lawyer: 2005-2009
- Runner-up, Intrastate Moot Court Competition
- “Volunteer of the Year” from the national Aspiring Youth after-school program (1999)
- “Commitment Award” for community service from the State Bar YLD (2002)